Read Think Pray | 15 September | Proper 19C


16-20 September
Read Think Pray
Monday

Read Psalm 51:1-10

Think

The background story to this Psalm is David’s adultery with Bathsheba.  The prophet Nathan confronts him with his sin and he repents.  What is interesting is that David doesn’t see what he has done wrong until someone actually tells him.

Pray

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me.
- Psalm 50:10

Tuesday

Read Exodus 32:7-14

Think

So God heard the cries of the Israelites in slavery in Egypt.  He sent Moses to set them free. Moses led them to freedom and he went up the mountain to receive the ten commandments from the Lord.  This commandments were the constitution of the new Kingdom. 10 rules to set them free.
Meanwhile, the people were impatient; they quickly made an idol for themselves.  This kind of behavior would ultimately lead them back into oppression; this time not by the Egyptians; but their own oppression.
God decides to end it here; but Moses begs for mercy; and God relents.

Pray

Lord, you do everything in your power to set me free but I keep on doing the things that keep me in bondage. Be patient with me I pray.
Amen

Wednesday

Read 1 Timothy 1:12-17

Think

In this passage Paul is speaking. Paul who murdered Christians; who supervised the stoning of St Stephen.  He uses himself as an example of what God can do with even the worst of sinners.

Pray

…the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 15 The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the foremost.
- 1 Timothy 1:14-15

Thursday

Read Luke 15:1-10

Think

Excuse the old language; but in John Wesley’s sermons on the sermon on the mount he writes:
Let us observe, who it is that is here speaking, that we may take heed how we hear. It is the Lord of heaven and earth, the Creator of all…
- John Wesley, Sermon 21
In these parables; God is telling us what God is like.  God is like a shepherd who risks himself to go looking for one lost sheep.  God is like a woman who looks for one lost coin and rejoices when she finds it!

Pray

Lord, sometimes I am so mindful of my own sin that I forget the extent of your love for me; I forget how you value me.  Help me to see myself and others through your eyes. Amen.

Friday

Read Luke 16:1-13

Think

This is a very confusing parable.  The best I can make of it is that it is a call to practice grace and generosity.  This means forgiving the things that others do; it means being humble; it means being ‘graceful.’

Pray

Lord, help me to be generous.