Church - What do I get?

We were talking about tithing - about giving money to the church.  Quite a lot of money in fact.  I have a few opinions about this.  I think the church's teaching on tithing is quite manipulative at times.  I think Jesus wants you more than your money.  But I do think that church members should contribute proportionally to the life and ministry of the church.

I find it amazing how the poorest of the poor struggle to put coins together to give their portion.  And interesting to see how the wealthiest find ways and means to justify giving without much commitment - and when they give - to give with strings attached.

But now I'm being judgmental.

Like I said - we were talking about tithing - and the question was asked: "What do I get?"

I have to bite my tongue to keep myself from saying:  "You get to come and die."

But it made me think about the temptation to answer the question: "What do I get?"  I would love to promise you an air conditioned sanctuary; padded seats - and professional musicians to give you what you want.  But that is not what is on offer.

What is on offer - is the opportunity to die to yourself and become part of something bigger.

When a friend of mine was talking about the decision not to have children I was struck by how much I thought I should encourage him to have children.  As we discussed the options I found myself saying that having kids has taught me to live outside of myself.  (I don't know if I convinced my friend to have children - but he now has two.)  But one thing I want people to know is that tithing is the opportunity to give.  And not to get.

What you do get (I hope) is a robust community dedicated to discipleship.  Resourced to minister the truth of the gospel to both the wealthy and the poor.  Resourced to co-ordinate the care of orphans; training of ministers and teachers, the building of hospitals.  Resourced to communicate the good news of the Kingdom of God and all that that entails.

All of these things that you get are not for you.  They are for God.