Read Think Pray for 29September - Proper 22C


30 September – 4 October
Read Think Pray

Monday

[I have to apologise for getting my weeks mixed up!  This should be next week's reflections.]

 

Read Psalm 37:1-9

Think

Psalm 37 is full of wisdom.  One thing it challenges me to do is be a little less greedy – and learn to be content.  It makes me think of Paul’s words:
…I have learnt to be content with whatever I have.
- Philippians 4:10

Pray

Be still before the LORD,
and wait patiently for him.
- Psalm 37:3

Tuesday

Read Habakkuk 1:1-3; 2:1-4

Think

In the 7th Century before Christ the prophet Habakkuk stood up to speak out against the corruption of those who were powerful.  I particularly like 2:3-4.
You might be tempted to be a part of the corruption – a part of the injustice of the world.  But know that ‘your spirit will not be right within you’.  ‘The righteous live by their faith.’

 Pray

Lord, sometimes I want to take things into my own hands in order to get what I want.  Help me to let go of what I want, and trust you for what I need.  So that my Spirit would be right within me.
Amen.

Wednesday

Read 2 Timothy 1:1-14

Think

Paul speaks so fondly of his friend and son in the faith.  What seems to stand out for Paul as he writes is Timothy’s ‘sincere faith’.  One of my dictionaries describes the word as: ‘lacking in pretense or show.’
Paul is fond of Timothy and he seems to be encouraging him to ‘just be himself’.

Pray

Lord, help me to remember who you created me to be.

Thursday

Read Luke 17:5-10

Think

It might sound strange.  But sometimes we admire ourselves for our own righteousness. In verses 8-10 Jesus speaks about how slaves simply do what they are commanded to do without congratulating themselves for doing it.
Perhaps we ought to a bit more like humble slaves in our service of God?

Pray

Lord, help me to serve you just because you are God and I am not.

Friday

Read Luke 17:11-19

Think

In this story Jesus cleanses all ten lepers but only one of them is ‘made well.’  The one that returns to Jesus to give thanks.  Interestingly; it is not Jesus who makes the leper well.  It is the leper’s faith.

Pray

Spend some time giving thanks for all that God has done for you.